Retrieval #2 Complete!

This morning was my retrieval for my second fresh IVF cycle and it went pretty smoothly.  I had 27 eggs retrieved, which was almost exactly the same as IVF #1 (28 retrieved). Tomorrow we will get the fertilization report with how many were mature, and of those, how many were successfully fertilized with ICSI.  For my first cycle, I was disappointed with the fertilization rate (just under 60%, or 16 eggs).  I am hoping for a little better this time around as maybe it will give me an extra blast or two by day 5/6.

I absolutely hate this part of the process. Nothing is a sure thing with IVF, so just because last cycle I got 6 blasts doesn’t mean that will be the case this time. I could end up with 2, I could end up with 10. And even after the final blast count, I still have to wait for the PGS results. Since we are doing Next Generation Sequencing as well as the Mitograde test, I am sure it will whittle my batch of “normals” down even more.  We only got 3 normals last cycle, so I really can’t afford to get much less than that. Especially because we wanted to put ideally two aside for a last resort transfer into a gestational carrier, and keep a couple more to transfer back to me.

I know there are so many people out there who don’t even get one to transfer, so ultimately I really still will be grateful even if I just get one.  But it just sucks to have to worry about every single step of this process. Since I have so much trouble getting anything to stick, it would be nice if the part where we gather embryos was a little easier and more fruitful.

So, the countdown is on.  Next Friday we will find out how many blasts were biopsied and frozen.  Then within two weeks after that we should have the PGS results.  I have no idea how I am going to make it through the next 3 weeks.


Stim, monitor, repeat.

I am on day 7 of stims and starting to grow tired and bloated. I almost think the second IVF cycle is harder than the first because you can’t help but compare your progress against the previous cycle.

My e2 has been climbing nicely so far, but I have not had a lot of progress with follicle growth.  For some reason the meds just keep feeding all my tiny follicles without much growth for the bigger ones.

2 days ago, I had 40 follicles just under 10mm.  As of today, I have maybe 3-5 in the 11-13mm range, and EIGHTY tiny ones. You can imagine, with 80+ follicles I already feel ready to burst. This morning’s scan was pretty invasive too, so I’m really feeling beat up.

I looked back at my notes from stim day 7-8 last cycle and had much more progress with follicle growth then, so naturally I have started panicking. I have to return for yet another monitoring appointment Sunday and I am really hoping we start to see some real growth by then.  If I end up getting canceled it won’t be the worst thing in the world because we’ve paid $0 out of pocket. But I don’t want to have to worry now about not being able to produce eggs on top of the RPL issue.

I really am not a whiner at all, but I’m feeling way too overwhelmed today.  I am not in a good place to shoulder the burden of worrying about the yield from this cycle. Not to mention physically I feel pretty crappy.  Work has been really stressful too and really the last thing I need to be worrying about on top of all the stress of IVF.  I need to take this weekend to lay low and relax and hope that I get some better news Sunday.


As of about a week and a half ago, I had finally made it through 10 torturous days of Prometrium (oh, the bloat!) to try and induce the start of a new cycle so that I could begin stims for IVF #2.  A week went by and nothing, so I spoke with my RE and set up a baseline appointment for this past Saturday.

Lo and behold, my baseline showed a 16mm cyst or follicle (still not sure which), and my estrogen was elevated close to 300. For those of you with IVF experience, you know that can only mean one thing: Cycle delayed.

I had repeat bloodwork yesterday that showed my estrogen was still elevated, and my progesterone was kind of elevated. I had all negative OPKs during that time, so I have no clue what is going on. Either way, now I’m stuck waiting it out through at least another blood draw this Friday, and possibly beyond.

I wasn’t necessarily excited to begin IVF #2, because I really don’t get on board with the whole IVF excitement thing anymore, but I was finally in a mental space where I felt ready. Now to have to try and maintain that prepared attitude while my body goes completely haywire, is frustrating.

I should have been 4 days into stims by now, but at this point I think we are looking at a late February retrieval at the earliest.  Which means a late April transfer.  UGH.